Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dan Grays log from his trip to Kenya and Indonesia in September and October of 2006

It's the evening of 10-10-2006. 
I'm in Banda Aceh, at the orphanage.

Last night we set up the telescope amidst the clouds.  We were able to get a pretty good look at Jupiter, and there were tons of children, and neighbors too.  After Jupiter set the clouds were just to thick to get my bearings, so no deep sky.

After this, We packed everything up, said goodbye to Faisal and Mynee (spelling?) and Danny and I set off for the bus station.  It was supposed to leave at 9pm, it left about 10:30 I think.  We drove all night until 8 or 9 am, when we finally arrived.  We stopped at about 4:00 for breakfast (Remember Ramadhan?), and later about 5 or 6 for prayers, at a small Mosk.

Once we arrived, there was some more incredible dancing by the children, all choreographed wonderfully, in full costumes!  I hope you can see the video's I took!  We then chatted a while, they all want to know how old I am, am I married, etc.  Danny translated.  Then, Danny, the director, Irna, and the driver, took off in the IHF car to see the sites.  I cried when I went into the grave yard.  Thousands of people are buried here, there is grass on a small hilly area with different sections for the children, etc.  It felt as if I was among them, I told them I was sorry for what happened, and then told them goodbye.

There is a huge power barge, that was moored a few kilo's from the coast.  This barge was born inland with a wave, causing mass destruction, but finally settled inland.  It is a site to see, a totally landlocked barge.  The guard was up on board, and because Danny called to him and said he had a special visitor from the USA, We were aloud on board!  I felt right at home, due to my vocation.  We saw the huge diesel and generator, all just sitting now, because there is no way to provide cooling water!

One of my favorite sites was a large tree, near the ocean.  Danny told me that this tree saved about 50 people who clung to it.  There are stories of people holding there kids and also to the branches, but the water was too powerful, and they had to let their kids go.  But I think it was a good thing, and I gave the tree a blessing because of what it provided.

Now back to the center, and a much needed nap!  After this, we all piled into the car, and went to a kids play center, where there is a lot of video games, etc.  The kids are now starting to warm up to me.  After we get back, we are finally able to eat, then it is prayer time.  After prayer time, Jupiter is too low, and behind clouds, however, now the Teapot in Sagittarius is plainly visible.  It's darker here than in Medan.  We are able to look at M22, M8, M17, M11, and Alberio (those of you that aren't astronomers, can look these up on the I-Net if you wish, but the children, really enjoyed the views, It was sure they hadn't seen them before.  Ok, now the biggest photon hog was the director!

After this we had a play time, and the kids are really warming up now.  We did "Thumb wars", a new game for them, and other games.

Tomorrow I hop on a plane for Jakarta, my last center to visit.

No comments: