Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dan Grays log from his trip to Kenya and Indonesia in September and October of 2006

10-8-2006 
This section is about Saturday the 7th, it's the morning of the 8th.

Hi all:

"Only when we learn to live from the heart and to feel the suffering of others as if it were our own do we become truly human."

These words are from the book 'Buddha', by Karen Armstrong that I'm in the midst of reading.

I'm in Bangkok, I couldn't get a flight to Medan last night after arriving.  I'm staying at a really nice hotel, in stark contrast to my other nights, especially in Pokot.  It seems like my experiences with the Pokot people are already fading into a dream, but I must somehow cling to my experiences, as they are a serious reality.  I'm in the midst of luxury, while there is much suffering in the world.

Before I forget, on my first arrival, I was picked up by Dr. Timothy Kipkopus, and Frederick, at Nairobi airport.  On our drive to Nakuru, I told them about my daughter Malaika, and how we arrived at her name, as there was a song that Kathie knew, named "Malaika".  Timothy said he knew the song, and we started singing it together in the car!  It was really cool! Well, on one of our days in Nairobi, Tim went to a music store, and found the original CD that had this song on it, and gave it to me for a going away present!  It really is cool, and I can't wait to give it to Malaika!  There is much wonderful music on this CD.

No comments: