Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dan Grays log from his trip to Kenya and Indonesia in September and October of 2006

10-12-2006

Now I'm in Jakarta, at the orphanage and education center of the place I feel I had a hand in saving.
I'm happy to be here, everyone treats me with so much respect I feel I don't deserve.  No one will serve there own food until I get my own.  etc.  It's a beautiful place.

Bagus is the director DJoko's son, and his title is Coordinating Director.  He and a volunteer named Aryo picked me up at the airport.

I love Djoko, the director here.  He's incredibly busy, but has a great heart for human rights and the children.

Today I just returned with DJokos son Bagus and another from the slum areas.  I had already seen pictures, but to be there with the smells was quite another thing. It seems they really could use a lot of help, and we're only able to help in the smallest!

I am soooo lame, I left my flash disk in Medan in Faisals computer, along with the book about Budda Carol gave me.  My plane went from Aceh, stopped at Medan, then continued on to Jakarta, so Faisal made arrangements to have security deliver it to the plane!  This was really a blessing, because all the pictures and movies from Kenya were on this flash disk, along with this log!

But that's not all I'm afraid.  I had to do a layover in Thailand if you remember, and my wallet was too fat with receipts and American money which I didn't need, so I took them out of my wallet and set them on the table before I went for a walk.  Then when I left in the morning, I simply forgot them.  I think there was at least 8 or $900 I left!  So when I went to purchase a visa in Medan, I realized I didn't have any money!  Well, when I arrived at the center, Faisal helped me dial the hotel, and they have my money!  I think they found part of my brain there too!  Now I am forced to stay at the same hotel, even though it is 45 minutes from the airport (remember it's a new airport now)!  Roberta will not be a bit surprised at my forgetfulness.

So now I'm in Jakarta, and having a good time, I already have a wonderful friend who is about 7 or 8.  His name is Dio.  He helped me put the telescope together, and always runs to get me water or whatever, so now his label is "Assistant to Mr. Dan Gray"!  He's not here right now, something about school or something....

We were able to look at the Moon and the Orion Nebula this morning, right after Ramadhan breakfast.  Most children were still asleep as they are not doing Ramadhan, but others were including Ade (pronounced Oday).  It is not very clear here, there's a lot of smog, and it's hard to find things, because the reference stars are obscured by smog, so we're lucky to view the moon and the orion nebula.

Since it is Ramadhan, attendance to the classes is low.  There was a computer class in the afternoon, and there were 4 girls in attendance.  They were all about 14-16 years old.  The teacher, Aryo stopped teaching them computers when I came in, and instead we had a long conversation.  Aryo is a translator by trade, and knows English very well.  He was encouraging the students to ask me questions.  They are Sooo shy, I tried to convince them I was simply just another person like them, nobody special, it did seem to help some, and we ended up making new friends.  I showed them my telescope, and they decided to come the next morning to view the moon!  Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it!

Later in the afternoon, I wanted to play their guitar.  It was in very sad shape, really, it was un-playable.  I talked Bagus into taking me to a music store, and we purchased a new guitar, a really nice Yamaha acoustic.  It played really nicely, and it was only about $100 USD. Well, I say "only", but you have to realize that if you have a good job there, then that is about 1 months wages!  Ok, I was happy, it was much cheaper than I could have purchased it in the states, but then when I think about what kind of guitar 1 months of U.S. wages could buy, the difference is mind boggling.  In a way I feel guilty about buying the guitar, as the $100 could have been use for other things, but oh well, the oldest orphan there plays the guitar really well, and he had been trying to play the old guitar.  He's really happy about the new guitar, and I made him promise to "pass it on" by teaching the other children to play!

After this, we broke our fast with dinner, then after dinner we sat around and sang songs.  Old Beatle songs turned out to be a real hit.   Then DJoko wanted to talk about what could be done in the slum areas.  He really has a heart for these people, and wants to help.  I believe finances will be the limiting factor with what he wants to do....

We then went to bed, and woke up as usual for Ramadhan breakfast.  We took the scope out for the last time, and the clouds were so bad, all we could see was the moon.  The good thing was, all the orphans had gotten up this time, and so everyone got a chance to see the moon!  Well, guess what, one of the computer class students did show up, and she brought two friends!  The two friends were so shy, they wouldn't look through the telescope!  I had to practically beg them!  Anyway, they finally did, and it's really amazing to see their faces, and they have never had a chance to see these sights, and probably, never will again!  After this, I went back to bed!

In the morning, I said my goodbye's and Bagus and Aryo took me to the airport, and I started the long boring trip home.

As I finish writing this, I'm already at home, and everything already seems so far away and unreal to me, but I know this is all someones reality.

Was this a fun trip?  Well, many times it was really fun, mostly when we were with the kids.  Being with my new friends was fun.  Overall it was not a "fun" trip.  To look the people in the eye that really need help is not really fun.  What it means to me to see this first hand is I know I can't just walk away from this need, I need to take advantage of what the Universe has given me, and use this to help these people.

No comments: